Face Lift/Brow Lift Fort Worth & Southlake
Face Lift/Brow Lift Information and FAQs as provided by board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Jonathan Heistein
A facelift (rhytidectomy) addresses the “jowl” area on the lower face as well as the cheek and neck. Incisions are modified for the individual patient, but generally extend from the sideburn, around in front of the ear, and then behind the ear in the hairline. On a thin face with little skin excess, a minifacelift may be done with similar incisions. An incision under the chin may be needed for more extensive tightening on the neck. For the right person, the results of a facelift may last for up to 15 years. This procedure can either be done alone or in combination with other facial procedures such as eyelid lifts, browlift or facial implants. Sutures are removed after 1 week and most people return to their regular activities in 2 weeks.
A Midface lift repositions cheek fat back up onto the cheek bone. With normal aging, this fat pad drops off the bony prominence, producing a groove under the lower eyelids. A gentle smile repositions the cheek pad back up on the cheekbone, which is the effect of the midface lift. It is generally done with a combination of incisions and uses suture to suspend the pad while it heals in place. It can either be done alone or in combination with other facial procedures. Recovery is about 2 weeks.
Browlift / Forehead Lift Information and FAQS
Browlift (forehead lift) surgery is designed to elevate the outer brow. The elevation of the brow not only restores a youthful slope to the brow, but it also lifts skin off the outer upper lid. Additionally, wrinkles across the forehead and between the eyebrows can be treated by resecting the muscles in these areas, a surgical Botox that is permanent. Brow Lift may involve either small incisions concealed in the hairline or a longer incision over the top of the scalp, generally still behind the hairline.
The choice of procedure depends on the degree of elevation required. This procedure can produce a refreshed, more youthful appearance to the eyes that can be very dramatic. Recovery is about 2 weeks.
– What will a facelift correct?
A facelift will help to correct excess skin and sagging skin on the lower face and cheek areas. The results are a smoother, firmer facial appearance.
– What is the recovery time after a facelift?
Most patients are able to return to their regular activities in about two weeks.
– What exactly will a brow lift correct?
A brow lift corrects a sagging brow, minimizes creases and wrinkles of the forehead, and between the brows. A brow lift will raise the eyebrows giving you a more youthful, rested, and relaxed appearance.
– Am I good candidate for a brow lift or a facelift?
The best candidate for a facelift or brow lift is an individual who:
- Is in good overall health
- Is a non-smoker
- Has a positive outlook and specific, realistic goals for the results of the surgery
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for a brow lift or a facelift is during a private consultation with Dr. Heistein.
– Does Dr. Heistein perform many facelifts and brow lifts?
Face lifts and brow lifts are a common procedure for Dr. Heistein. He is experienced and skilled in the latest facial plastic surgery techniques. Many other plastic surgeons only perform a few of these procedures each year. Because of this, they lack the vital experience an expert surgeon needs to provide optimal results.
– Is it safe to have facelift / brow lift surgery during the same setting when I am having another cosmetic surgery?
Generally yes, but it depends on the individual patient and the length and difficulty of the planned operations. Dr. Heistein will be happy to discuss this with you during your consultation.
– I am considering having a facelift or brow lift , but I don’t really want everyone to know that I have had plastic surgery. Is it possible to have this surgery and still have a natural look?
Achieving a natural look from plastic surgery is a common patient concern. During your private consultation, Dr. Heistein will answer any questions you have about your surgery. He will also work hard to ensure that he understands your desired outcome. This is the best way to ensure patient satisfaction. Dr. Heistein does not believe in a “one size fits all” approach to plastic surgery and understands that no two patients are just alike. Whether you are looking to make a dramatic change in your appearance or to simply enhance or reclaim your natural beauty, Dr. Heistein can help you achieve your goals.
– I have seen TV commercials advertising facelifts with very little downtime and promising results equal to a traditional facelift. Does Dr. Heistein perform these new, quicker facelifts?
Unfortunately, in plastic surgery, as in almost everything else, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Many of these advertised procedures are performed by non-qualified physicians; doctors who are not board certified in plastic surgery. Often, these doctors receive only a weekend training course in facial plastic surgery (as compared to an ABPS board certified plastic surgeon who has many years of plastic surgery training and experience).
In addition to the safety risks associated with these short-cut procedures, a lesser procedure will typically end with lesser results. The facelift may be quicker, and the downtime might be a little shorter, but you will probably not get the level of results that you are expecting. You should only trust your face and your safety to an ABPS board certified plastic surgeon.
Dr. Heistein spends a great amount of time consulting with each patient. He understands that plastic surgery is a big decision, not to be entered into lightly, and he works hard before each procedure to ensure that you will be happy with your results.
– I have noticed that not all surgeons performing face lifts or brow lifts are board certified. Why choose a plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS)? Is this important?
An ASPS member surgeon has fulfilled the following requirements:
- Has at least five years of surgical training and a minimum of two years of plastic surgery training.
- Is board-certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Is trained and experienced in all plastic surgery procedures, including breast, body, face and reconstruction.
- Is peer-reviewed for safety and ethical standards prior to attaining the honor of active membership.
- Only operates in accredited facilities.
– Why is it important to choose a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
Many physicians who perform cosmetic procedures will claim board certification, but it is important to clarify which board. The American Board of Plastic Surgery is a part of the American Board of Medical Specialties and has been in existence since 1937. Certification by this board signifies that the surgeon has completed an approved plastic surgery residency, has passed a comprehensive written examination, and has passed an oral examination. Following this, he or she is then required to maintain certification through case submissions, continuing medical education and written examinations. This rigorous process ensures that those who identify themselves as a diplomat of the American Board of Plastic Surgery are held to the highest standards of patient safety, patient satisfaction and ethical behavior.
– Are the results of a facelift or brow lift permanent?
The results of a brow lift are long-lasting, but not permanent. As time goes by, your face will continue to age. However, many patients feel that a brow lift is a great way to obtain a more youthful look for many years.
– Do you have hospital privileges and, if so, with which hospitals?
This is important because a surgeon who does not have privileges at a hospital (that is, the right to use the hospital’s facilities) may not be adequately trained. A hospital will always thoroughly check the credentials of a surgeon. Sometimes, when a surgeon operates in his or her own facility, there is no guarantee that the surgeon is adequately trained. You can rest assured that Dr. Heistein has been credentialed by and has privileges at most of the major hospitals in and around Fort Worth and Southlake, Texas.
– Do you have before and after photos available for viewing?
Photos from before and after facelift and browlift procedures will allow you to assess a surgeon’s work and determine what look you would like to achieve for yourself. However, there are two considerations that are important above all others: you must be comfortable with your surgeon and your surgeon must listen to your needs. Making sure that these occur will help to ensure that you get exactly the results you want!
– I do not live in the Fort Worth or Southlake areas. Can Dr. Heistein still perform my facelift or browlift?
Dr. Heistein has many patients who travel from outside the Fort Worth or Southlake areas to have facelift or browlift surgery as well as other plastic surgery procedures. Because of this we have several options available to meet your individual needs. Feel free to ask about this at your consultation.
– How can I find out more about facelifts and browlifts?
The best source of information is a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. To schedule an appointment for a consultation, contact our office at 817-820-0000.
Our offices are located in Fort Worth and Southlake, Texas. In addition to facelifts and browlifts, Dr. Heistein provides breast augmentation, breast lifts, liposuction, tummy tucks, blepharoplasty (eyelid lifts), and more.